J. Paul Getty once said that the meek will inherit the earth, but not its mineral rights. He was talking about how you have to be bold and willing to take lots of risks to achieve mineral rights. It seems like keeping mineral rights takes more and more guts every year. As globalization continues to occur at faster rates and more and more countries are developing, the oil market is becoming more unpredictable than ever. A neighbor of mine came into a large plot of land in west Texas after his grandfather passed away. He was unsure if he wanted to hold onto the mineral rights that came with the land. We discussed the issue at hand for a long time and searched the web to see if there were any services that helped with that sort of thing. We found out about The Mineral Auction. They help people looking to sell mineral rights find a buyer and get the best price for their land. Their brokers allow you to get a fair evaluation of your land so that you and potential buyers know what you’re getting into. If you aren’t sure of how much your land is worth, you may be contacted by a buyer that tries to get you to take a bad deal. Because most of us don’t have the technical knowledge to evaluate land, a private buyer may try to convince you that your land is worth far less than it actually is. Brokers like The Mineral Auction help to prevent these swindlers from succeeding.
Owning mineral rights in the Permian Basin is risky business these days. One day your land could be valued at millions of dollars, and the next it could be valued for pennies on the dollar. It’s just the nature of the business as oil companies change their extraction plans with the economy. My neighbor and I discussed how land was a good investment, but putting the money into a stock portfolio or other real estate may be a safer option. When you sell mineral rights, you can take the money from those rights and invest them into several different things rather than having all of your capital tied up into just one thing. With the money, my neighbor could turn to a financial advisor that manages some of the money in a portfolio. This sort of investment is never going to increase or decrease exponentially overnight. It’s more likely to steadily increase over the course of a 15-20 year period. This is a great option for my neighbor who is looking to pay for his children’s college and retire in his sixties. He is also considering putting some of the money into other property ownership. He may buy a home and rent it out to the college kids that move into our town from year to year. With a house, he can make money from the rent. Also, if the house appreciates in value, he can sell the property at a profit later on. It’s a win-win situation. This is why we think diversification is probably a better option than holding onto mineral rights in this unpredictable economy.
You may already know that the maximum number of H-1B recipients has been met for the fiscal year 2019. As you work with a visa attorney, it is normal to have more questions than answers at first. Here are some things that we know right now:
If you have plans to work in the United States, you may need to rethink your strategy. Some occupations have more success with the H-1B visa process than others, and it’s important to know the likelihood of your visa being granted. These occupations have been repeatedly denied for several years:
- Marketing Manager – The Occupational Outlook Handbook does not require a degree of any kind to fulfill this position, making it difficult to be approved.
- Business Development Manager – Market research analysts have been increasingly more challenging to attain visas for, and this occupation is very similar.
- Legal Technical Writer – This position is becoming increasingly more and more difficult to gain entry into the United States, and that includes extensions. Another problem for applicants is that the Occupational Outlook Handbook does not require a degree.
- Computer Programmer – The USCIS has deemed that a bachelor’s degree is not required for this position, making it very difficult to be accepted.
- Financial Analyst – Even though this position requires a degree, it may not be a special occupation if the industry you are applying to work with does not require a degree.
- Sales – This position has never had much success with the H-1B visa application process. It may be best to revisit your job description and try a different angle.
- The Arts – Besides fashion design and graphic design, the USCIS does not typically grant visas on these grounds.
If you were not selected in the H-1B visa lottery or if your chances of approval are low, there are other options to stay and work in the country.
- O-1 Visa – Also known as the “Extraordinary Ability” visa, this visa can be awarded to aliens with considerable talents in the sciences, education, business, athletics, and the arts. This visa allows aliens to live and work for up to three years in the United States, especially if they may have received national or international recognition for their talents. This visa is ideal for individuals who hold at least a master’s degree and have started their own business, designed a new patent, or are considered a leading expert in their field.
- TN Visa – The TN visa allows certain professions on the NAFTA list to be performed in the United States by Canadian and Mexican nationals. This visa expires after three years, but visa holders have the opportunity to apply for single year periods after that.
- E-3 Visa – Australian nationals may travel to the United States to work on special jobs as long as the have a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent. These candidates must work in a STEM occupational field in order to apply. The initial visa will last two years, and extensions can be granted for two year at a time.
Some of us have a thing for instant gratification. We love purchases, acquiring belongings, and buying things that make us and others happy. An attorney in Chicago was caught stealing recently and had to plead guilty to theft and fraud after it was found that he was spending up to $30,000 a month of money that wasn’t his, according to a recent news story.
According to The Chicago Tribune, a guilty plea was offered by the Chicago attorney for taking over $800,000 from clients in order to fund his lavish lifestyle. The Wheaton estate lawyer admitted he had a spending problem and took more than $800,000 from his clients to fund his lifestyle which included spending about $30,000 in home and renovation expenses. This is according to what prosecutors said in a hearing in which the defendant, Robert Beck pled guilty to theft.
If he did not enter the guilty plea, the defendant could have served up to 15 years, but other charges were dropped in exchange for his plea, and sentencing will begin on October 26th. Beck lost his ability to practice estate law, of course, and he found himself in need of a good criminal defense lawyer.
The State Attorney’s assistant Diane Michalak provided a narrative of his crime at the hearing. Beck had a case filed in 2015 after another attorney commented on how Beck might have been using his client’s funds. The investigators discovered that Beck was scheming with his clients’ money to hide what he was stealing. When interviewed, Beck admitted to using the funds in an incorrect manner without approval and committed the crime because his wife and him having a spending problem. Beck spent $30,000 before they discovered that he was paying off monthly car loans, purchase new furniture, remodeling his home, and pay off his boat. The majority of the money was given to him to build trusts and he assumed he could take advantage of the elderly. The theft began in 2011 when Beck processed a trust account for a woman who happened to die within the same year. He started making personal checks out of her account and putting them into his account. Over 18 months, he took over $189,000. They began spending $18,000 in 2011 and that figure increased to $29,000 by early 2014.
Theft and fraud are often crimes of convenience, in which an individual who has access (in this case, to people’s estate funds) chooses to steal for themselves. Beck stole from others to fund a lavish lifestyle, and he admitted to his crime. Whenever a person is accused of a crime like theft, it is important for them to consult with a criminal defense lawyer to discuss their legal options. In this case, a plea deal may have helped reduce certain charges against the defendant. An experienced criminal defense attorney can review the facts of the case and determine what the right course of action may be. You may wish to strike a deal with the prosecutor, or you may wish to take the case to trial and try to have the charges against you dropped altogether. It is also wise to know the penal code for your particular state, so you know what charges may be filed against you. I live in Texas, so a quick search revealed theft and fraud lawyers near me (I really liked the website of this theft and fraud lawyer in my town), who I would definitely turn to if I were accused of a crime like Beck was.
Keeping smoke out of welders’ breathing zone and making sure that the whole facility is free of welding fumes is a vital responsibility of manufacturers and plant owners. Manufacturers know that weld fumes threaten workers’ health and raise many other serious concerns, regardless of the operation performed – manual or robotic welding. If weld fumes are not captured, then the health of all workers (in the entire facility) can be put to risk.
Weld fumes contain toxic metals particulates. These less than a micrometer in diameter particulates are released into the air when welding wires get subjected to extreme heat and can be easily inhaled and absorbed into the body. Additionally, hexavalent chromium particulates, which are toxic, can travel in these fumes and cause different types of serious health problems, including cancer. The absence of a comprehensive weld fume control system will not only put the health of workers in an entire facility at risk, but may also be considered a violation of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s (OSHA’s) “General Duty Clause.” This directive requires manufacturers to provide a safe and healthy workplace and, with regard to welding facilities, to adhere to air contaminant requirements, one of which is to maintain the presence of specific toxic substances, like manganese and hexavalent chromium, within permissible exposure levels (PELs).
Industrial welding dust filtration and control, as explained in the website of RoboVent, may be effectively and efficiently accomplished thru the installation of a weld fume ventilation system for any of the following purposes:
- Manual Welding Source Capture. Source capture is a proven way to reduce weld fumes in manual welding operations. Collecting fumes at the point of welding ensures a more efficient means of capture and a higher degree of safety for workers.
- Manual Welding Ambient Systems. Ambient solutions for manual welding stations capture weld fumes from the environment, improving the air for workers and the entire facility.
- Portable Weld Fume Smoke Extraction. These self-contained systems enable workers to capture weld fumes from any location. When production lines or welding cells must remain flexible, these systems safeguard workers, no matter the situation.
- Robotic Welding. RoboVent offers multiple systems for addressing the special concerns of robotic welding. Cutting-edge collectors provide workers and facilities the highest levels of protection possible.
Manufacturers who are concerned about productivity and who make the safety of their workers top priority should never think twice investing in what will keep their facility clean and with good breathable air.
Effects of Car Accidents on Victims
Car accidents can happen even just because of a single mistake, such as when the driver has failed to negotiate a curve or when he has been too distracted to see an abruptly turning vehicle. Whatever the cause may be, nothing is going to change – damage has been done, and it may have significant effects to the victims involved.
Injuries are the first things that come to mind when it comes to car accidents. The worst injuries associated with traffic accidents are the following:
- Amputations, sustained from entrapments
- Brain trauma, sustained from hitting the head into a hard surface
- Facial disfigurement, sustained from getting hit by projectiles
- Fractures, sustained from receiving excessive force
- Paralysis, sustained from neck and back injuries
Whether the injury is minor or major, victims will most likely need medical attention as a precaution, and medical attention does not come for free. Depending on the severity of the injury, this can reach up to thousands of dollars.
It’s worse if the accident has occurred because of the recklessness of another party. The good news is, according to the website of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ®, those who have been hurt because of another person’s mistake may get compensation, such as for the medical costs of the injuries sustained.
Getting involved in a traumatic event such as a car accident has a psychological toll to its victims. They can sustain post-traumatic stress disorder, where they may re-experience the traumatic event, in the form of flashbacks and nightmares. These re-experiences are even worse when the victims are in the presence of specific stimulus that may be related to the crash, such as cars or the sound of car engines.
They may also be vulnerable to depression, emotional detachment, social withdrawal, and escapist behaviors, such as overeating, oversleeping, substance abuse, and worst of all, suicide.